This episode is all about Brainstorming.
We'll cover the reasons why some people think brainstorming is ineffective, and I'll talk about the study that people have been quoting as proof.
We'll also go over some best practices when brainstorming effectively, and I'll also give you an alternative method to generating ideas.
That, some history, and a few stories all inside this episode of the You're Making Me Podcast.
In this episode you'll learn:
- Walt Disney's 3-step method to idea generation
- What Bill Gates was doing in a cabin in the woods
- How George Lucas and Steven Spielberg created some of the best scenes from Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Why early brainstormers felt like they were being commandos
- The 4 original rules of brainstorming
- Why some people think that brainstorming doesn't work
- The best practices of brainstorming
- My alternative strategy… Let's call it Brainstorming 2.0
“The more you rub your creative lamp, the more alive you feel,” ~ Alex F Osborn (Creator of Brainstorming)
Other links mentioned in the podcast:
- Walt Disney Method
- Raiders of the Lost Ark Session
- The Conflict Study – This links to the actual paper. It's dry reading, but describes exactly what happened during the study. Update: Cornell removed the paper, so I've removed this link.
- The New Yorker Article – An article that got tons of press. It based it's opinion on the French / US “Conflict” study.
- Victims of Groupthink – Amazon Link. You'll need to follow the used books to get a decent price.
- Brainstorming Techniques – Blog post coming soon.
- Brainstorming Tools – Blog post coming soon.
- Subscribe via iTunes
- Listen on Stitcher Radio (iOS and Android)
- Get the Podcast only RSS feed or the Full RSS Feed (Podcast and 1-2 posts/week).
- Right Click and “save file as” for direct downloading
- Or, click here to go to to top of this page to listen via the on-site player.
This podcast episode was originally published on YoureMakingMe.com.
Image Credit: Me 🙂